Suggestions for volunteer opportunities at Riverhead Animal Shelter include:
- Dog walker and Companion – Available everyday. Orientation required. This means the world to our dogs. They look forward to their walks daily.
- Cat and kitten cuddling everyday!
- Temporary Foster Parents – Volunteers are needed on as needed basis to temporarily foster kittens and dogs.
- Yard work and Gardening – Do you have a green thumb? Come and help us make our grounds look beautiful.
- Groomer – Do you have grooming experience? help our companion dogs look their best for adoption events.
- Clean Freaks! We always need help keeping out facilities spotless.
- Publicity – are you a talented writer? We need you to tell our shelter stories.
- Photographer? We always need pics.
- Help showcase our adoptable animals at our off-site adoption events.
- Transportation for off-site events and vet visits.
Click here to download:
For additional information on volunteer opportunities go to:
A Volunteers Wish Come True
On March 1st, 2013 the NFAWL took over operations for and moved into the old Riverhead Animal Shelter. Positive change started immediately. New energetic staff was hired. The office was painted. The pervasive negative energy began to lift. With hard work from the staff and volunteers I started to see real change in the dogs. Magical, to say the least. Now tails are wagging and eyes are twinkling. The place bustles with activity. Dogs outside all day playing with their new toys. Volunteers walking and socializing. And a trainer, Gina, teaching manners and resolving issues. This I have never seen there before.
I was walking a dog named Bella, I looked down at Bella and said lets go to the dog park, and off we went. We would not have been allowed to do this before the NFAWL. It was the first time Bella had been out of the shelter in two years. We arrived at the dog park. I watched Bella get out of the car. It was like she landed on the moon! I could see her relax and smile. Thank you NFAWL for taking over. Your love and kindness made this happen!
Executive Director’s note:
Michael is one of our dedicated and loyal volunteers. We at the NFAWL are very proud of the changes we have made in the lives of the dogs housed at Riverhead Shelter. We will continue to grow our programs and expand our reach to facilitate a more humane approach to ALL animals in our care.